This article needs clean-up to meet quality standards.
Please feel free to help after consulting our Style Guide.
|None (respawning not determined by time)
|Vulture Mask: 5
King Vulture Mask: 10
Vulture Masks are objects that protect Vultures' weak spots: their heads. They can be removed by dealing damage to a Vulture's face; once obtained, they can be worn to scare off Lizards. Unmasked Vultures are persistent and pursue whatever removed their mask across multiple cycles.
A Vulture Mask can only be removed by dealing more than 0.9 damage to a Vulture's face. This means that Monk is unable to knock it off with standard Spears, as their maximum damage is 0.9. It is still possible to obtain Vulture Masks as Monk by using Explosives or by relying on other creatures. Additionally, Artificer's Maul ability always demasks a Vulture when its face is grabbed.
Vulture Masks can be worn to scare off Lizards. If Slugcat is wearing a Vulture Mask, most types of Lizards become fearful of them for a short period of time; this period lasts 17.5 seconds for regular Vulture Masks and 30 seconds for King Vulture Masks. During this period, they attempt to run away but may still bite Slugcat if they are too close. Black, Green, and Red Lizards are exceptions to this. Black Lizards are blind, and so ignore the Mask completely. Green Lizards are temporarily pacified rather than scared. King Vulture Masks frighten Lizards more than normal Masks, capable of scaring away even a Green Lizard. Red Lizards ignore both Vulture and King Vulture Masks and pursue Slugcat as normal.
Slugcat wears the Vulture Mask when not otherwise occupied (e.g. climbing, crawling, or swimming). The Mask has no collision with projectiles while being held. It cannot be thrown, only dropped. As with other items, a Lizard's tongue is capable of ripping the Vulture Mask from Slugcat's hand.
Animation of the Vulture Mask Sprites
- 0.6 for regular Masks, 0.8 for King
Downpour-Exclusive ContentThis section contains content exclusive to the Downpour DLC. This content is not available in the base game.
Elite Scavenger Masks
Vulture Masks can be taken from Elite Scavengers by hitting their heads. They are functionally identical to regular Vulture Masks. They wear 3 unique variants, known as the Horned Mask, Sad Mask, and Spiked Mask:
Chieftain Scavenger Mask
The Chieftain Scavenger wears a unique variant of Vulture Mask, known internally as King Mask, which can be worn after killing the Chieftain Scavenger post-ending.
Wearing it makes all Scavengers afraid of the player. When dropping the Mask, the effect still lasts for a full minute, making it possible to temporarily put it down without any risk of being attacked. Towards Lizards, it has the same utility as a regular Vulture Mask.
Downpour-exclusive content ends here.
Vulture Masks are prized by Scavengers, who typically trade most weapons and resources for them, though they are not as highly valued as Pearls. King Vulture Masks are valued even more highly, as high as Pearls, and Scavengers trade any object for them.
- While eating an object, Slugcat lifts the Vulture Mask off their face. However, while swallowing an inedible object, Slugcat slips it under the Vulture Mask.
- Vulture Masks cannot be swallowed.
- Although Caramel Lizards are larger than Green Lizards, they are still hunted by Vultures and thus are affected by regular Vulture Masks.
- Red Lizards are the only Lizards capable of taking down Vultures and King Vultures. It is possible that they de-mask them too, which can lead to easy pickings for Slugcat.
- Maskless Vultures are attacked by other Vultures with Masks.
- After being removed from a Vulture, Masks rapidly darken and saturate in color.
- When a new region is entered, the AI of creatures in the Gate room is re-initiated, meaning that the timer is reset and Lizards start being afraid of Masks again.
An unmasked Vulture
A demasked Vulture being harassed to death.